Today’s artist on Tumblr feature - Yudi Chen!
Dear Yudi, please introduce yourself and your work to us!
My name is Yudi Chen and I am a senior illustration major at the Rhode Island School of Design. I am inspired by a lot of decorative design, patterns, and interesting shapes. I guess that’s a bit vague…but I am inspired by too many things to really pinpoint! Recently, I have been looking at a lot of work by Kay Nielson, Eyvind Earle, and Mary Blair. I am also fond of a lot of contemporary illustrators like Meg Hunt, Emiliano Ponzi and Christoph Niemann.
Right now, my favorite mediums are silkscreen and gouache. I don’t have one piece of artwork that I like the most right now, but I am very fond of my fairy tale project and the fantastical landscapes I did.
What are your plans, hopes and dreams for the future?
I am hoping to create some more animations in the upcoming months and experimenting some more with silkscreen animation.
Ideally, in two years I will be working as a concept or storyboard artist at an animation company.
Your latest series is Gender Reversed Fairy Tale. Please tell us more about it! Why did you make it? How did you come up with the idea?
When I was making the first image (Sleeping Beauty) I had just taken a couple of gender studies classes and had a lot of those sort of issues on my mind. I was thinking a lot about the fairy tales I was told as a kid, and some of the very strange messages and morals within them. The series started out as a response to all those tales of a weak princess quietly waiting to marry the first man to save her. At the same time, I know a lot of feminist art can be quite angry and antagonistic (which is fine!) and so I wanted to try a different, softer, and more subtle approach to it. Thus I created this series that touches upon something very important to me but done in a way that can also be enjoyed on a visual, simple level. I wanted to use humor to discuss something that is a little bit unfair in our world. People are free to interpret the series however they want to, however, which is the wonderful thing about art.
And something personal for the last question! What’s your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Tarsem Singh’s “The Fall!” It has some beautiful costume design and shots. I suppose you can say it’s mostly artist eye candy haha.
For more UE interviews go here!
- laberintoo-del-palabraas likes this
- sweetasspring reblogged this from unknowneditors
- kiikii reblogged this from funkystarfishy
- noctambulante likes this
- numinoob reblogged this from zitterberg
- skinaybettay likes this
- iesselle likes this
- tone-twilight-zone reblogged this from ohgomen
- michete likes this
- bara-suishou reblogged this from funkystarfishy
- claimedusername1 likes this
- from-dec-planet reblogged this from unknowneditors
- goldenwhales likes this
- thespokesman likes this
- erosionn reblogged this from vickah
- vickah reblogged this from atticadventures
- atticadventures reblogged this from karkadann
- lovecrazylag reblogged this from unknowneditors
- lovecrazylag likes this
- f3rdinand520 likes this
- juiceoflola reblogged this from gabrielgovela
- gabrielgovela reblogged this from zitterberg and added:
- truba likes this
- 7billionexcuses likes this
- laurants likes this
- chii-c-san likes this
- purplenoodles182 likes this
- amuttmonkey likes this
- matapart likes this
- ilaughedmorethanishouldhave reblogged this from zitterberg
- oddblossom likes this
- surroundedbycoffeecups reblogged this from zitterberg
- skinnyjeanhoodie likes this
- skullboybh likes this
- brucesbigworld likes this
- rojaluv likes this
- jadmontenegro likes this
- midare likes this
- tazinyourpantz likes this
- hola-ladies reblogged this from zitterberg
- hola-ladies likes this
- gabrielgovela likes this
- mirukukeki likes this
- ketunnahka reblogged this from zitterberg
- svavelstickor likes this
- quotesofhope likes this
- rrrobbergirl likes this
- neduag likes this
- wafflesinmyvhs reblogged this from unknowneditors
- zitterberg reblogged this from unknowneditors